What foods to store in a food storage program is a popular topic – but what about making meals from that food? Not so much.
You can’t get much simpler than preparing Rourke’s Survival Pancakes. The foundation for these pancakes is any “Just Add Water” pancake mix. My favorites include Aunt Jemima and Hungry Jack’s versions.
2 cups pancake mix(follow instructions on box)
1 1/2 cup water
A pinch or twelve cinnamon sugar
1 “dash” of Pure Vanilla Extract
Aunt Jemima syrup
- Following instructions on box combine pancake mix and water
- Add the desired amount of cinnamon sugar. Start with a teaspoon. Want more cinnamon flavor? Add more next time. Want less? Add less next time.
- Add a few drops of vanilla extract. A little goes a long ways.
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- On a non-stick skillet heated to medium pour a 3″ circle of batter
- Flip when pancakes bubble and bottoms are golden brown.
Recipe Tip: Everyone has their own individual tastes so the recipe can be adjusted as needed. Have some canned fruit? Throw some small pieces in. Don’t care for cinnamon? Leave it out.
Lastly – pancakes are an excellent food storage item. While the mix itself does not keep extremely well rotation is easy – and enjoyable.